Stoney Stanton Lawn Tennis Club was formed in 1962 with the enthusiasm and determination of a few dedicated villagers, some of whom remain active members of the club. From fairly modest beginnings, with two shale courts, the club has evolved over the years. A third court was added and the shale courts resurfaced. Floodlights were provided for the third court in the late 1970's.
A secondhand pavilion, first built in 1932, was acquired from Roundhills Tennis Club. It is one of the few traditional wooden pavilion's that remain in the county today. Major renovations took place in 2001, in tandem with the playing fields development. The original kitchen, toilets and changing rooms were removed from the pavilion without altering its traditional appearance.
All courts were resurfaced and a fourth one built. Three courts now have floodlighting. A brick clubhouse is available providing showers, toilets and changing rooms. After a lot of hard work by members of the club landscaping to the front and side of the pavilion was achieved. This included a new patio area and barbecue.
1) The Club shall be called “The Stoney Stanton Lawn Tennis Club”.
2) The General Committee shall consist of a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, Match Secretary, and 5 others to be elected annually at the AGM.
3) a) Annual subscriptions are due on 1st April each year. b) Subscription rates will be set annually at the AGM.
4)Applications for membership to be made to the Membership Secretary and be approved by the Committee.
5) Only fully paid up members are entitled to play and avail themselves of the Club facilities. Single Senior: A Single Senior aged 18 and over by 31st December of current membership year (if in full time education please refer to Student category) shall pay the ‘full rate’ as decided at the AGM. Single Junior: Mini – School years 1 – 6, as at September of the year they join. Keys will not be available for this type of membership. Junior – School years 7-11, as at September of the year they join. Student – School year 12 and above, as at September of the year they join, in full time education shall pay 50% of the full senior rate. University students will require a current student union card as proof. Parent and Child (in school years 1-6 only). The parent can only practice with their child at junior times (see Rule 6). The parent will not be a full senior member and cannot play for club teams. A Family - Comprising 2 parents and up to 2 ‘Junior’ category children shall pay double the full senior rate. After the two eldest children, younger children in the same family are entitled to 50% discount off their appropriate age category membership. Couples: Entitled to 10% reduction. Senior Citizens: Single or Couple (60+ as at December of the preceding year). Entitled to 50% reduction of the full rate. Autumn: (August to March) Pro-Rata - 8 months of relevant subscription category, for new members only. (This will not apply to junior membership categories) Winter: (October to March) Pro-Rata - 6 months of relevant subscription category, for new members only. (This will not apply to junior membership categories) Day Guest (All Ages): All ages shall pay £3.00 and must be accompanied by a full member, attending no more than four times before applying for membership. NB. Day guests cannot enter the main Club Tournament.
6) Junior members may use the courts on any weekday up to 6pm and on Saturday mornings. They can play at other times, but only when senior members do not require the courts or by invitation from senior members.
7) It shall be the responsibility of each player to ensure that all the entrance gates are locked on entry as well as exit. The Pavilion has been left locked. The net has been lowered. The facilities are left clean and tidy.
8) Appropriate tennis clothing should be worn whilst using the courts. Tennis trainers with non-marking soles only. Football trainers and jeans are NOT to be worn whilst using the courts. Bags and belongings should be kept by the net posts.
9) When players are waiting for a court, a short set only is to be played. (ie. up to 4 games)
10) Matches and club tournaments take precedent over all other play.
Stoney Stanton Lawn Tennis Club